This colorful and flavorful vegetable succotash is good year-round as a side dish or sprinkled on salads. It gets better as it marinates in the refrigerator and can be served warm, cold, or room temperature.
- Step 1 Cook the red beans: In a pot, add the red beans, water, 2 teaspoons of salt, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook the beans on a low boil until tender, but firm (al dente). Strain the beans and refrigerate until fully chilled.
- Step 2 Cook the corn: Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the corn and cook until the corn kernels are tender, 3-5 minutes. Remove the corn and refrigerate until fully chilled. Cut the corn off the cobs and set aside.
- Step 3 Make a vinaigrette: In a mixing bowl, add the rice vinegar, honey, mustard, ¾ teaspoon of salt, granulated garlic, Tabasco, and soy sauce. Whisk until well blended. Slowly add the olive oil in a thin stream, whisking constantly, until thoroughly incorporated. Set aside.
- Step 4 To make the succotash: In a large mixing bowl, add the red beans, corn, red onion, bell peppers, and green onions. Mix until well blended. Add the vinaigrette dressing and mix until well blended. Transfer to covered containers and refrigerate.
- 1 lb. Blue Runner red kidney beans, washed
- 10 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 ears fresh corn, shucked
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon Tabasco pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- ½ cup finely diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions